Bootcamp I: October, 2010 – Cambridge
Our October, 2010 Bootcamp I was a huge success! We had over 100 people travel both near and far to attend our inaugural event hosted by Cambridge Innovators and sponsored by Boston Private Bank & Trust Company and GesmerUpdegrove.
Our diverse group of speakers and panelists covered a wide variety of topics geared towards start-up and growth stage companies. Overall, we have received a lot of positive feedback from our participants. They found the event to be informative and relevant, as well as a fun and resourceful way to network and connect with other successful professionals and entrepreneurs.
Finance & Administration Breakout Sessions:
- Is Growth Killing Your Company? The Importance of Cash Conversion in the Growing Enterprise. Jonathan Iannacone, Evan Cassidy, Verge Advisors
- Building the Ideal Finance Team: The fundamentals of a solid finance function, choosing the team and more. Bob Dudley, Venture Advisors
- Business Plan versus Executive Summary: How to clearly present your business opportunity to investors in a concise manner, Robert Glazer, Acceleration Partners
- Business Growth & Risk Management: Proactive Steps and Pitfalls to Avoid: Time and resource saving steps to avoid common oversights and minimize unnecessary risk as your business grows. Charlie Popkin, Longwood Associates
Strategy & Marketing Breakout Sessions:
- How Great Web Design Influences the Bottom Line: Tactics and case studies for getting results from your website.
Richard Banfield, Fresh Tilled Soil
- Going Social -Employing Social Media in Your Networking: Maximize your time spent and deciphering the opportunities that are out there.
Victoria Nessen Kohlasch, Nessen Kohlasch & Associates, Inc.
- Getting Your Business Found in Google: What is Search Engine Optomization (SEO), how does it work for your business and how do you best measure your return on investment.
Robert Glazer, Acceleration Partners
- PR: Money-Pit or Brand-Builder: Seven questions to ask before taking the plunge.
Amy Bermar, Corporate Ink
Legal & Risk Management Breakout Sessions:
- Choice of Entity: Positioning Your Company for Success: Key factors include avoiding liability, attracting and incentivizing team members, and raising funds from investors, at all stages of growth. Larry Gennari, Gennari Aronson
- Top 10 Things Every Business Should Know About Intellectual Property:
Erik Heels, Clocktower Law Group
- Privacy Law Compliance – Blunders, Bungles and Bloopers: Review real life privacy disasters. Learn how to not end up like these guys.
Colin Coleman, Innovative Business Law Group
- Angels, Venture and Alternative Funding Sources For Your Business: Learn about types of capital, fundamental of a term sheet and how to be ready to accept it when offered.
Karin Gregory, Furman Gregory Deptula
Management & HR Breakout Sessions:
- Managing a Virtual Team: The Trials and Tribulations of managing a virtual team – How to build a cohesive organization without boundaries.
Steve Schultz, Supporting Strategies
- Dotting the I’s & Crossing the T’s: The Nuts and Bolts of HR for the small company.
Amy Scannell, Insight Performance
- Hiring Amazing Talent: Learn how to attract the best talent to your organization refinine your interview process, and closing your top prospects.
David Hayes, Hire Minds
- Employee Benefits and Payroll Compliance for Startups. What every company needs to know to recruit and retain talent and keep up with the changing state and federal laws.
Bruce Crohn& Rich Testa, ADP
- An Entrepreneur’s Advice for Success – 10 Lessons Learned: Sit with an entrepreneur who has built tech companies and will offer valuable advice from real-life failures and successes.
Steve Snyder, Gesmer Updegrove
Meeting Capital Needs at Any Stage: Representatives from early stage venture, private equity and small business lending communities spoke about what they look for at each stage and what can make a business stand out or get shut out at each level. Open Q&A followed.
Moderator: Larry Gennari: Partner, Gennari Aronson
Panelists: James Rich: Partner, Gemini Investors, Jim Brown: Exec Vice President, Boston Private Bank & Trust , Jason Henrichs: COO, PerkStreet. Matthew Witheileir: Principal, Flybridge Capital Partners